The Castle of Good Hope is one of
the oldest European structures in South Africa, built in 1666. It's a
'star' fortress with five sides and bastions on each corner so it could be
defended in all directions. It was the center of everything in early Cape
Town--government, military, and commerce. Here's a mock-up showing how it
looks from the air (or the top of Table Mountain?) We drove in over that
bridge to the right..............
.............and walked around the bastion on the lower right to enter.
This is the very Dutch looking gate into the center of the complex..........
...............which had a large
parade ground surrounded by barracks-like buildings that now house several
museums of military and maritime history. The Castle also is the location
of the famous William Fehr Collection of Africana. You can tour the
dungeon which was very dark and damp. Our guide was very new, a young man
obviously not used to speaking English rather than Afrikaans. It was a
struggle for him and for us, but it was all very interesting.
That's Signal Mountain in the background.
There was a decorative pond and fountain in the interior
which was originally to store water in case they were besieged, which they
never were. There was also a garden where they grew vegetables.
Serving as protection from inland, behind the Castle, is beautiful Table Mountain.